The main focus of the SCL International College pre-sessional programme is on developing language skills in the four disciplines of reading, writing, speaking and listening. Students study for 23 hours per week and are also expected to complete homework assignments each day. Teaching takes place in small groups and each student is assigned a personal tutor who they will meet with at least once per week to discuss their progress.
The course is a great way to acclimatise to living and studying in the UK, learning about British culture, places to go and see in London, how to make the best use of public transport and so on. It’s also a great way to make friends with fellow students before the main course begins.
Students will be taught different language techniques which include:
- improving grammatical skills
- increasing the range of general and specialised vocabulary
- enhancing sentence and paragraph structure
- improving reading skills and identifying key information and arguments
- interpreting tables and graphs
- tackling multiple choice questions
- speaking in a coherent and logical manner
The course also introduces students to the study skills needed when starting your main programme with us. They include:
- note taking in lectures and classes
- writing summaries
- writing extended pieces of work
- making presentations